Friday, February 22, 2013

A Very Braidy Updo

Hi all!

I know it's only February, but I am already thinking about prom season. I LOVE prom season! Updos are so much fun. To me it's like creating a sculpture only with hair as the medium. Generally an updo involves curling the hair into delightful ringlets and then strategically pinning them up in a pleasing way. This formula can be used to produce many different looks. Then I got to thinking: I'm becoming a one trick pony! I needed to think outside the box and add some different kinds of styles to my repertoire.

I was inspired by the messy braid updo tutorial by Jenny Strebe at Confessions of a Hairstylist. Check it out here. I love the way it looks unfussy. It makes me think of slow summer days and light cotton dresses.

For a more formal updo I thought I could take this idea and add more detail and braiding. Instead of pulling the hair back and fastening in the back, I sectioned the front into three big sections and french braided them all back. I took two sections along the nape and braided them both to the center. Then I pinned the braids in a sort of spiral pattern low on the back of the head.
 
To make the braid headband look, I took a small section behind each ear and braided them. I then pulled one braid over the top of the head, pinning it on the other side. Then I did the same thing on the other side.

I think the braided updo is a nice change from the old curly updo.

Speaking of updos, I'll bet many of you ladies with shorter hair believe that you don't have enough hair to wear and updo. Don't be so sure! I ran across this picture of me with my hair done for our salon Christmas party.
I keep my hair in a stacked bob. Most of the length of my hair is in the front. By twisting the front up into the crown, I create the illusion of my hair being pulled up.

Special occasion hair is for everybody!

M



No comments:

Post a Comment